A 2012 survey done by the Asos Marketplace revealed that their average female customer has about £1000 worth of old clothes in their wardrobe which they haven’t worn in a year. Some don’t fit any more, and some have become too dated to be fashionable anymore. So what’s the best way to get of these clothes?
The answer is simple. You can sell second hand clothes online and can get cash for clothes easily. In one clean sweep you get some cash for old clothes, and you also make room in your wardrobe for new ones.
Here are some interesting facts from Recycle Now which clarifies why it is a good idea to sell your old clothes.
- Around 350,000 tonnes, or £140 million worth, used clothing goes to UK landfills every single year.
- By changing the way that the country supplies and gets rid of clothing, we will be able to reduce wastage in clothing consumption and carbon foot print by at least 10 to 20%. This translates to around £3 million savings every year in making new clothes.
- At the moment, more than 30% of old clothes go to a nearby landfill.
- 41% of people are not aware of the facility to recycle clothes.
- 60% or more people in UK have old and unused clothes in their homes, and they don’t know how to get rid of them.
Some ideas to get rid of clothes that you no longer enjoy
Here are some ideas on what to do with the old clothes that you have been hoarding in your wardrobe.
Upcycle drab to fab
Upcycling is a great way to use your existing clothes and convert them into something unique and contemporary which you will enjoy. If there is a particular item of clothing that you dearly love and cannot part with, consider upcycling it.
Swap with others
If you have some clothes that are wearable, but you don’t enjoy them anymore, consider swapping them with like-minded others. You could start an event to swap clothes, and invite your friends and their friends to come along. It’s a great way to clear out your wardrobe while having fun.
If you have clothes that are not fit for donation, swapping, or upcycling, you can still recycle them. Genie recycling is the perfect recycling service to consider when you want to dispose of these clothes. Simply put your clothes in our collection bags and request a collection date which is convenient for you. We will pick your clothes up right from your home. After processing the clothes, we will also reimburse you. What could be simpler than that? Request your free Genie recycling clothes pack today and try us out!